inSCRIBE Bengaluru 2019 | Structure
The workshop is being structured in a manner so as to ensure that participants both gain insights into how to plan and execute a story, and acquire enough hands-on experience.
Participants will be paired as teams. In other words, two participants will work together on the stories they wish to pursue. A participant with sufficient experience may be allowed to pursue stories on his/her own, but that would be only at the sole discretion and approval of the Workshop Mentor.
The ten-day workshop will roll out as under:
- Day 1 (full day): Introduction to narrative non-fiction and feature-writing; guest lectures by journalists/writers on how they plan and write long-form features.
- Day 2 (full day): Planning the stories. The story ideas of each participating team will be discussed and planned.
- Day 3-5: Groundwork. Participants will pursue their respective story ideas, which can include speaking to people, ferreting out information, taking photographs.
- Day 6 (full day): Course correction. Participants will report on the work done hitherto, and make necessary course corrections for their stories; guest lectures by journalists/writers on how they plan and write long-form features.
- Day 7-8: Groundwork continued. Participants will fill up the gaps in their respective stories, or take corrective measures. In short, everything needed to write out a piece that is well-rounded.
- Day 9: Writing the stories. Submissions will have to be made by EOD.
- Day 10 (full day): Evaluation. Announcements.
Post-event (date TBA later): If articles are selected by the Workshop Mentor for publication, then those might have to be updated / expanded for the purpose. This will fall outside the scope of the workshop.
Note: Even though this is not technically a "course", exhaustive reading materials will be provided to all participants. Tea, snacks and lunch would be on the house.